Friday, May 25, 2012

It Begins!

I am a mother of two beautiful young ladies. It is truly a blessing to call these two sweet young ladies my daughters. And as their mother, I want to savor every moment. I want to take pictures of everything. ...And I have...it's why I currently have no space on my iPhone and two digital cameras. ..I'm afraid that even though I've downloaded all the images, if I delete them, every hard drive they exist on will suddenly melt into oblivion. ...I should probably go buy a new digital camera. ...Or print the pictures, but whatever.

So anyway, I want to remember everything, and this what is about to follow is a story that I do not want to forget. Ever. And it's one that I find so freakin' adorable, I also wholeheartedly believe it is my duty as a human being to share this story with every person I possibly can. ...It's just that sweet!

So Thursday night my husband had a meeting and wasn't home. Just me and the girls. My oldest, B, is four, and my youngest, L, is 8 months. She's just become independently mobile and is extremely proud of this fact. ...I am regretting ever wishing her mobile. I have seriously got to invest in some baby gates pronto. (B never really got into anything as a baby (REALLY!), so we never really needed to buy them with her.) At any rate, this new found independence and desire to go explore and play has been read by my older daughter as, "Yes! Finally! Someone to PLAY with!!!"

It was in this mindset that B insisted that I leave the room so she and L could play alone. Because my daughter is actually fairly responsible and attentive for a four year old, I obliged her, and ducked into my bedroom not far away, with the door open. A few minutes to myself? Sweet! I sat in there listening, because truthfully, I didn't really have anything to do, I just wanted to give B some time with her sister.

Then it happens. 

L:  (starts crying)

B:  (borderline shouting) "I'm SORRY! I didn't MEAN to! Stop crying! Stop Crying! I didn't mean to!" (starts to cry)

quiet...and crying....

L:  (still crying)

B:  (now crying, mumbles something incomprehensible) then...."You hurt my FEELINGS, L***!!" (more crying)

I sit on the edge of my bed, half laughing, wondering what an 8 month old could have POSSIBLY done to hurt the feelings of a four year old. Finally, I walk out to the living room to assess the damage. I see, in one corner, L, sitting and crying. About 10 feet away, I see B, lying prone on the floor, her face buried in a pillow, sobbing. I choke back my laughter; B is very sensitive to being "laughed" at. Walking over to B, I scoop her up. 

Me:  "B, what's wrong?"

L:  "L*** wouldn't play with me!"

Holding her in my arms, I try to comfort her and explain that she's just a baby; she doesn't know better. While I'm holding her, L starts to feel left out and is crying the most cute, adorable, pathetic cry ever. She begins crawling over to me, crying. When she gets over to me, I scoop her up, too. Two crying girls in my arms. 

Anyway, my description doesn't do the situation justice. But it was about the cutest, most pathetic, most adorable little scene ever, and I'm so glad that B is so interested in spending time with her younger sister. I hope that is a desire that lasts the rest of her life. ...And I hope that L reciprocates this, too. On the other hand, it made me extremely nervous for what kind of scenes await me in their adolescence if this is what I'm dealing with now, all before either child has entered kindergarten! lol Don't know. ...We shall see... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment